Saturday, June 8, 2013

!!!!!Richard Simmons!!!!!

I'm always talking about making exercise fun and finding healthy ways to celebrate life's accomplishments. I recently practiced what I preach by celebrating my birthday with Richard Simmons at his Slimmons Studio in Beverly Hills, CA.

I have always loved Richard Simmons. He just makes me smile. I believe that he genuinely cares about people and loves helping them get healthier and happier. I love that he is so authentically and unapolagetically him. Taking a class with him was definitely a "bucket-list" item and I thought it would be a meaningful way to celebrate my birthday and the fact that I finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.

A group of my students and friends drove up early Saturday morning (we wanted to make sure we had spots since his classes can fill up quickly). We were all a little shocked when Richard walked in as he was looking a little less "Richard Simmons" and a little more "drag queen". It turns out he was doing a Korean pop music theme for class that day and came costumed for the occasion.

The class was fun; Richard was playful and engaging. I was happy that there were a few front row divas to watch since Richard moved around the room a lot and was usually hard to see. I happened to be towards the front next to a gorgeous guy who really knew how to dance so I "followed" him ;) Richard was a little raunchier than I expected and really loves dropping the F-bomb. I tend to use that expletive quite a bit myself so I responded well to that! At one point he yelled, "Keep your tits up ladies!". I thought that would be a fun alignment reminder to yell out in my classes but I'm not sure how it would go over at the Senior Center. I guess that's one of the perks of being a fitness icon and owning your own studio :)

We all agreed that it was worth the drive and that we'll be heading out to his class again soon. Wanna' join us?


Here are some more photos from our day.
 
In the interest of full disclosure, I followed this up with a night of indulgent food and wine with good friends. Hey, it's all about balance, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment