Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Thai Green Curry ~ Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free

This is a very easy recipe that is great for leftovers. I love bulking it up with veggies ~ I used zucchini and yellow squash, but you could really use whatever veggies are in season (or are hanging out in your fridge)

Ingredients:
1 can regular coconut milk
1 can light coconut milk
3 Tbs + 1 tsp Green curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen)
3 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow squash
1 Tbs xylitol
2 Tbs fish sauce
4 basil leaves per serving for garnish (I add this right before I serve it or right 
  before I reheat it when I'm eating leftovers). I used my kitchen shears to cut 
  strips but you could just tear them up.

***To make it vegan, just omit the fish sauce

Instructions:
Shake the cans of coconut milk and then pour them into a deep sauce pot or pan. While cooking the liquid on medium heat, stir in the green curry paste. Once the milk is simmering, add in your squash and stir well. Lower the heat to low-medium and cook for about 15 minutes or until your squash is your desired firmness, stirring periodically. Stir in the fish sauce. I removed the pan from the heat and let it sit for about another 5 minutes. The squash was tender but still firm. 

You can also use all light coconut milk. I did that last night and it was fine, but the sauce was quite a bit thinner than using even just the one can of regular coconut milk. If you are trying to lose weight or are watching your total fat intake, though, you may want to stick with only light coconut milk. It still tastes great!

The photo is with it over brown rice. I ate it the other day over spaghetti squash and it was delicious! I am sure it would also be great over quinoa. I also added some shredded chicken before I reheated it one day and plan to try it with shrimp soon. There are lots of possibilities!

It's a little bit spicy but both of my kids tried it and liked it. They haven't sat down to eat a whole bowl of it, so I'm not quite ready to give it the "kid-approved" stamp yet ;)

Please let me know how you like it and if you change it up at all, please share your results!


No comments:

Post a Comment