Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wild Huckleberry Mango Green Smoothie


This summer, my family and I visited our cousins in Idaho and had the incredible luck to be there right when the wild huckleberries were ready for picking. If you've never had a huckleberry, they are like small, tart blueberries but they pack in even more antioxidants per serving. No one has been able to cultivate them and they only grow in a few places in the United States. 

All of the families of the valley have their "patches" and it can get pretty territorial. Luckily we were allowed to hang out even though we are from California (thank you extended Somsen family for "grandfathering" us in) ;) We spent most of two days picking huckleberries ~ it was magical. I think it is the closest I've ever come to really meditating! We brought the huckleberries back in a cooler and I froze them in mason jars as soon as we got home. I've been enjoying our bounty now for months. If you can't get your hands on huckleberries you can always substitute blueberries for a similar taste (but if you have to beg, steal, or borrow to get some of the real deal, they're worth it!).

Ingredients: 
2 handfuls spinach
1 big handful kale
1 handful parsley
1/2 cup mango
3/4 cup huckleberries
1 inch square fresh ginger
1 mandarin orange
1/2 small avocado
1 Tbs. orange flavored Calcium Magnesium Citrate (totally optional, it adds a little sweetness but I include it more for the minerals)

Blend it all together with your liquid of choice until it's smooth. I love my Vitamix but any good blender should work. This is a relatively big batch. It made enough for me to have a large smoothie and then a small one for my husband. You might want to halve the recipe if you are making one serving as a snack.

Enjoy!
This is us at the end of our first day of picking. Dirty, stained, and so happy!

As always, if you like this post and want to be sure you don't miss any in the future, you can "Follow posts" or "Subscribe by email" in the top right corner of this page. You will only be notified when I post something new. 

You can also "like" my Facebook page: Healthy Bodies With Brooke for more great articles and recipes

If you are thinking about buying a blender, I LOVE my Vitamix! If you purchase through this link I receive a small compensation which helps me support my blogging activity ~ Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment