Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Quinoa Shrimp Salad -- Gluten Free Summer Salad Series

So I realize that summer is coming to an end, but I also know that the warm weather is not going anywhere for a while (at least here in SoCal). I know I will rely on these make-ahead salads even more now that afternoons will be busy with homework, soccer practices and a few more classes for me to teach. Hopefully they will make your life more convenient (and healthy) too!

My Mom and I talked through this salad and then she did the heavy lifting and actually came up with the proportions. She managed to create one of my absolute favorites so far!

Ingredients:
2 cups of cooked shrimp
1 cup of red quinoa
3 cups of brown rice
1 cup of toasted pepitas
1 cup of sliced celery
1 cup of chopped avocado
1 cup of chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup of chopped red or sweet onion
1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
fresh cilantro to taste

Dressing:
1/4 cup of white wine vinegar
1/4 cup of lime juice
1 tsp of honey
1 finely minced shallot
1 tsp of ground coriander seeds
1/4 tsp of chipotle flakes
1 cup of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Throw everything into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Enjoy!

I haven't figured out the nutrition information or the Points Plus value on this one yet. I will update the post when I do :)

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment